bitty.and.bunny: Beauty Bit: Messy Side Bun DIY

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Beauty Bit: Messy Side Bun DIY

      I don't know if I've mentioned this, but my sister is a pretty kick ass hair stylist.  Sometimes when we go out, I ask her to help me with my hair and she'll whip up this sculptural, funky side bun that I love.  I never saw how she did it, and always assumed it was just a whirlwind of backcombing, hairspray, and talent.  Well, that part's true, but even though the end result looks intricate and fancy, you don't actually need the talent to pull this off.  The backcombing and hairspray are necessary, but skill is totally optional.  After we made this tutorial and she broke it down step by step, I realized that even someone inept at doing her own hair (me!) can pull this off (evidence that I was able to accomplish this feat all on my own here).
      1. Gather your supplies.  You'll need some hair elastics, bobby pins, hairspray, and a teaser brush or comb (for backcombing your hair).
      2. Pull your hair into a low, side pony and secure with an elastic.  3. Gently backcomb the ponytail, leaving a small section un-teased.  Don't backcomb too tightly; you want the hair puffy & fluffy.
      4. Braid the un-teased section of hair & secure with a small elastic.

      5. Begin sculpting the backcombed hair into a bun shape, securing in various places with bobby pins.  Don't worry about perfection, this is most definitely a messy-is-better kind of deal.  Leave the braid out of the bun for the time being.
       
      6. Wrap the braid around the bun and secure with a bobby pin or two, taking care to hide both the pin & the end of the braid into the bun.  7. Spray with hairspray for a stronger hold.
      A huge thanks to my super creative & talented sister, Jen, for sharing the secret of one of her go-to hairstyles.  If you're in the Ft. Lauderdale, FL area, be sure to stop by The Factory Salon and ask for her.  I promise you won't regret it.


      Linking here.

        No comments:

        Post a Comment

        don't be shy...i love reading your comments! xo

        Pin It button on image hover